These photos were taken around 1960 of members at Emmaus Church
Back row, L-R: Ruth Mozingo, Callie Jernigan, Hepsie Potts, unknown, Mary Tyler Robinson
Middle row, L-R: Ethel Wilson, Glennie Hollowell Moore, Ruby Coats, unknown, Pauline Daniels Wiggins
Front row: L-R: Sudie Brock, Cleo Barber, Lillian Potts
Back row, L-R: Norman Price, Barney Price, unknown, David Potts, Oliver Griffin
Middle row, L-R: Harry Baker, Sam Casey, Edward Potts
Front row: L-R: Unknown, Robert Brock, Ed Lee Mozingo
Back row, L-R: Pauline Barnes, Lois Casey, Lee Wilson, Catherine Mozinto, Kathy Wilson
Front row, L-R: Neal Casey, Guy Potts, H.F. Anderson, Wendell Griffin, unknown, Betty Wilson
Emmaus Baptist Church
Two Locations Have Served This Church
Emmaus Church has been located in two places during its 74 year
The church was originally built about a mile from its present location
on the spot where Mr. and Mrs. Robert Brock now live; and it has been
at the present location since 1923 or 1924.
A severe storm on Tuesday, March 13, 1923, wrecked the church at the
original site; and after some weeks the members voted to relocate the
church at its present site.
The reason for the removal of the church was that an elementary school,
Hillcrest by name, had been built diagonally across the highway from
the present site, and members felt that this was nearer the center of
the community as a large number of its members lived in the "mash"
below Cobb Hill, at that time. The school had been located because of
the central position, too.
Old timbers of the church were brought and used in the auditorium part
of the present church.
The Hillcrest school only operated a short while and was consolidated
with the Brogden School. Members debated for awhile about buying a
school building for rebuilding, but the records are not clear as to
whether that was the old Casey school or the Hillcrest school. At any
rate the decision was not to buy.
In the rebuilding of the church it was made slightly narrower and maybe
a bit shorter than the old building, thus making sure that the old
timber would be sufficient to replace the building.
During the interim between the wrecking of the church and its
rebuilding, services were held twice at the Casey school, which stood
where Mrs. Willie Moore's home is, and then moved to the Robert's
school, where services were held until the building could be erected.
Records show that Rev. Herbert Strickland preached at the Casey school
on March 25, following the wrecking of the building on the 13th. On
April 1, Rev. J. W. Bell, then the pastor, preached at the Casey school
and after that services were removed to Robert's school, a location
nearer to most of the members.
The building stood very much as it was rebuilt until the late 1940s
when improvements and additions were undertaken.
The old section of the building was straightened - it had been blown
askew by a storm - underpinned, and soon thereafter new memorial
windows were added, and then new ceiling put in.
The new material was war-surplus plywood, and this remained until after
a fire a few years ago when it was removed and the present interior
Observe 75th Anniversary
Next year will mark the 75th anniversary of the organization of Emmaus
It would be fine if the members of the church would start planning now
to observe this anniversary at its regular homecoming services in 1965.
Plans could make this the most elaborate homecoming the church has ever
held. It would be an event worth planning and by starting now with the
appointment of proper committees it could be assured that this would be
an important landmark at the three-quarter-century point in the history
of the church.
If the church should decide to celebrate in a worthy way the 75th
anniversary, it could early appoint a committee to make a thorough
study of the church and have a brochure prepared giving a more detailed
history of the church than has ever been attempted.
This would be a difficult job, as no records seem to be available
locally of the history of the church prior to its removal to its
present site. Older records must have been destroyed or misplaced with
the destruction of the building at the old site. However, a more
complete history than has been written could be compiled from a
thorough study of associational minutes in the Wake Forest College
Library and from a study of all local records that are available.
If it should be thought wise to observe their 75th anniversary, plans
should be gotten underway at once. This is only a suggestion.
Members and friends of Emmaus are happy that the church now has a water
supply ample for foreseeable needs.
Following the church's removal to its present site around 1923-1924
efforts were made from time to time to secure water on the grounds, but
without satisfactory results.
While the J. A. Straders owned the adjoining property, they gave the
church permission to run a water line to their deep well at the home
place and provide free of charge for the church's use; and after Mr.
Strader disposed of the property, Mr. Victor Worrell, owner, permitted
the church to continue the arrangement for getting water and even
agreed that if the well needed extra work done on it to provide the
water that he would gladly do that work.
The church, realizing, however, that it ought to have a water supply of
its own, put down a four-inch deep well a few years ago and now has an
adequate supply for the church, and for a parsonage when the church
sees fit to build one. The present well is 185 feet deep.
Cemetery Is Laid Out
In recent years, the cemetery has been surveyed and plotted into four
and eight grave lots. However, any number of graves may be purchased.
Special contracts have been drawn and lots are available to members and
their families at $15 per grave and to others at $30 per grave. Land is
available for the foreseeable future, as almost one and one-half acres
are yet to be laid out for use.
Friends Give Real Estate
Real estate holdings of Emmaus have more than doubled in recent years.
Four special gifts of land have increased the original two-acre site to
almost five acres.
Before disposing of his farm which surrounded the church on three
sides, Mr. J. A. Strader and Mrs. Strader deeded to the church several
grave lots at the western edge of the church property.
Mr. and Mrs. Bobby Ellis purchased the Strader property and before
selling it sometime later, they gave the church one-half acre to the
west side of the church cemetery to enlarge the burial area.
Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Mitchell later purchased the lands formerly owned
by Mr. Strader and Mr. Ellis and a few months ago they deeded to the
church two tracts of land. The wooded area to the east of the church
and as deep as the original church - almost an acre - while directly to
the rear of the cemetery and church they gave slightly more than an
acre, thus bringing their gift to almost two acres.
The most recent gift of land was by Mrs. L. L. Wilson, Sr. and Mr. L.
L. Wilson, Jr. They gave a 100 x 200 foot building site just across the
highway from the church grounds, it being lot number three in the
property in front of the church.
Mrs. Wilson and her son and Mrs. Ellis are members of Emmaus Church,
but it is to be noted that Mr. and Mrs. Strader and Mr. and Mrs.
Mitchel, while not members of the church, loved it and its work enough
to make these fine contributions for which the church is grateful.
Rotation Used For Deacons
Emmaus uses the rotation system for the selection of its deacons.
This system has been in use for several years; and only just recently
within about the past year, the church has voted to allow women to
serve on the board.
Under the rotating system, one-third of the members go off the board
each year and are replaced by members who serve for three years and
then they rotate off. Those who have served have to wait for at least
one year before they can be re-elected; that is, no board member can
succeed himself immediately after serving his three year term.
This system insures that experienced people are on the board at all
times, and it at the same time gives the church a chance to use more of
its qualified people in this important position.
For several years, too, it has been the custom of the church to name to
life "deacon-ship" a few people who have served the church faithfully
over a long number of years.
At the present time David Potts is a life deacon; and other members of
the regular nine-member board are: Mrs. Edward Potts, Mrs. Oliver
Griffin, Mrs. S. C. Casey, Sr., Hubert Anderson, Lester Anderson,
Johnny Sasser, Jack Smith, Johnny Howell and Jesse Fields.
The new members who came on the board this year are Johnny Sasser,
Lester Anderson, and Mrs. Casey.
Members, Friends Are Loyal
Growth has been noted in every department of Emmaus Church life in the
past 20 years.
Church services are held four times each month - every Sunday morning,
instead of once a month.
Minutes in 1947 show a membership of 58 active people, while the
present membership is listed at 138; Sunday school attendance is about
eight times as large as in 1945; church attendance is around five times
as large as in 1945; gifts through the Sunday school and church are
more than 12 times as large as in 1945.
BTU has been organized and the attendance now is more than 30 per
Peak attendance in Sunday school was in 1962 when the average for the
year was 103.8 while the average gifts had reached $55.05 through the
Sunday school. This compares to an average attendance of 9.7 in 1945,
and an average per Sunday gift of 81.7 cents.
Attendance is some smaller now than in the peak year, but plans are
underway by Sunday school officials to start a visitation program and
pull the attendance at all services nearer to what it ought to be
considering the possibilities in the community.
Emmaus has been blessed with many loyal members and friends during the
Evidence of this may be seen in the special gifts to the church as well
as the continued support of many.
A glance at the name plates on the windows, on the pews and in the
hymnals will indicate some of the special gifts, as well as the name
plate on the pulpit furniture.
But there are many gifts not indicated by plates. E. R. Casey, Jr. gave
the screens for all the windows in the building. Mr. and Mrs. Eugene
Roberts gave the storm doors at the front. Ace Maugham gave an electric
refrigerator and an electric stove. Mrs. L. L. Wilson, Sr. gave a gas
stove, several whose names cannot be recalled gave the gas space
heaters for the building. Mr. A. C. Hilburn of Goldsboro has printed
the bulletins for many years, and many have given generously of time and
money for special work.
One of the most valuable gifts to the church was the electric organ
given following the fire some few years ago by Mrs. Georgia B. Garris.
Last year, a total of $1,236 extra was paid on the church debt and this
was given in amounts ranging from $1 to $200. A similar drive is under
way now and there will be many gifts to this cause.
When the first addition was made to the church, groups ranging from
five to thirty came out for about 16 consecutive Saturdays and gave
their time and a number of people in the community gave logs to be
sawed to furnish the lumber.
15 Pastors Serve Total of 17 Pastorates
A total of 15 pastors have served 17 pastorates at Emmaus since the
church's organization in 1890, according to the best information
Two ministers have served two pastorates each, the records indicate.
Other pastorates have extended from one year to 19 years.
Minutes of the Neuse Association, and earlier the Neuse-Atlantic
Association, indicate the pastor serving at the time reports were made
to the association, but do not show the exact dates of the beginning
and ending of pastorates. For this reason it is not possible to tell
the exact terms of ministers. On the other hand, some reports were
included in minutes with no pastor listed, and it would be reasonable
to think that no pastor was serving at such times. Then too, there are
a few years when no reports were recorded for the church, and it seems
logical to think that no pastor was serving during these years.
Records indicate the church was organized in 1890, and minutes of the
Neuse-Atlantic Association show that Emmaus, along with the churches at
Seven Springs and Eureka (Mt. Nelson), were admitted to the association
in 1891 while sessions were being held at Beaufort on the 13th and 14th
of October; and the messengers from Emmaus petitioning for admission
were Newman Potts, Major Lewis and Dr. Ezzell.
Beginning with that year the names of the pastors will be listed,
together with the dates so listed.
J. H. Edwards was listed as pastor from 1890-1892; and G. L. Finch,
Goldsboro, was listed for 1893. Although minutes contain records, no
pastor was listed from 1894 through 1896.
It appears that J. W. Rose, LaGrange, was pastor from 1897-1900; and J.
B. Jackson was listed from 1901 to 1904.
Rev. T. J. Hood, of the Falling Creek community, was listed as pastor
for 1909 and no one was listed for 1910; so it is a question as to
whether Mr. Hood served one or two years. No one was listed from 1904
to 1909 - between Jackson and Hood, so it is assumed that the church
was without a pastor at that time. Hood was one of two pastors who
served the church twice; so his name will appear again at a later date.
C. E. Stevens, also from the Falling Creek community, served the church
from 1911 to 1913; and records show that 28 persons were baptized into
the church in 1912, marking one of the more successful years in the
history of the church, judging from the number of baptisms. (Note: the
present pastor of the church was one of the 28 baptized in 1912 on a
cold Sunday in August, Mr. E. L. Roberts.)
L. B. Boney was pastor from 1914 to 1915; and then A. I. Caudle served
for one year, or possibly two; however there is no listing for 1917.
Only the 1916 minutes list Caudle.
Rev. Howard Pipkin, the only man besides T. J. Hood to serve the church
twice, was pastor from 1918-1920; and he was followed by T. J. Hood,
who served in 1921, and records do not list anyone for 1922; so it is
not known whether Mr. Hood was still serving or whether there was no
pastor at this time.
Rev. J. W. Bell from the Faison area was listed as the pastor from 1923
Next pastor was Rev. Howard Pipkin, who had served from 1918-1920, and
this time he served from 1926 to 1935, making his the longest pastorate
prior to the present pastorate of the church. (E. L. Roberts Sr.)
Rev. Millard M. Johnson served in 1936 and he was succeeded by H. C.
Bowers, who served one year, 1937.
Rev. T. Threat followed Mr. Bowers and Mr. Threat served from 1938 to
1942, when he was succeeded by Rev. T. N. Cooper who is listed as
pastor in 1943 and 1944.
The present pastorate began in 1945, making this by far the longest
pastorate in the history of the church. No minutes were published in
1945 and the 1946 minutes list Mr. Roberts as pastor, and evidence
indicates he began his pastorate in August 1945.
A Brief Addendum to the 1964 History of Emmaus Baptist Church
By Rev. E. L. Roberts, Sr. - Pastor
Emmaus is a Southern Baptist Church located on the Emmaus Church Road
at Route 2, Box 135, Dudley, NC. Organized in 1890 and admitted to the
Neuse-Atlantic Baptist Association in 1891, Emmaus is celebrating its
100th anniversary this year.
The chart that follows shows some of the numerical statistics of the
Church for the past 26 years. It can be seen from these figures that
the Church has grown in some areas, but has not fared quite as well in
others. Our 100th year was, by far, the best financially. 1978 and 1990
showed the greatest number of baptisms. The peak years in Sunday School
attendance were 1966-1967. Hopefully there has been much spiritual
growth on the part of the members of the church. This kind of growth
can not be shown on a chart.
The greatest building project, by far, in the last 25 years was the
construction of the new Sanctuary which doubled the square footage of
the building and enabled the former Sanctuary to be converted into a
much needed Fellowship Hall. Praise to our Heavenly Father and special
thanks are due to all who helped to bring this project into reality.
Services at Emmaus Church originally were held once a month and later
increased to twice a month, then to every Sunday. Presently Emmaus
Church offers Sunday morning and evening services, Sunday School,
Wednesday evening Prayer and Bible Study, WMU Organizations for the
women and girls and Brotherhood Organizations for the men and boys.
In addition to the two ministers mentioned by Bro. Roberts as having
gone out from Emmaus Church, two others have also gone forth. They are
Rev. Gerald Garris and Rev. Johnny Sasser who is the current pastor of
Rev. Willard A. Brown, Jr. 1966-1967
Rev. William Martin 1968-1970
Rev. Murray D. Craft 1971-1974
Rev. Andrew B. Moon 1975-1976
Rev. John White 1977-1979
Rev. Elliott Hill 1980-1984
Rev. Johnny Sasser 1985-present
A sad moment for us, but a glorious one for him, was the death and
home-going of Rev. E. L. Roberts, Sr. on December 20, 1985. Bro. Roberts
was pastor of this church for 20 years and was greatly loved and highly
respected by all. Before his death, he was named Pastor Emeritus of the
church and the E. L. Roberts Sunday School class was named in his
With a total membership of 375, Emmaus Church is humbly and eternally
grateful to the men, women and youth who labored patiently and
faithfully over these 100 years, to our Lord Jesus Christ, on whom the
true Church is built, to our Heavenly Father, without whose blessings
there would be no Emmaus Church, and to its members who, in love, carry
on the tradition that has made Emmaus Church a blessing to many people.
To God be the Glory, Amen.
The new Church Pictorial Directory which we hope to have in just a few
days will bring us closer to those with whom we labor, and as it does,
will also bring us closer to our Heavenly Father for whom we labor and
Back to Wayne County Families pages
Back to Wayne County page